Happy Memorial Day!
Memorial Day – 5.26.2014: Originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation’s service. It’s a federal holiday celebrated on the last Monday of May. It was officially proclaimed a holiday in 1868 by General John A. Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic to honor the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. In his proclamation to set aside this day, General Logan instructed there to be thoughts to “…cherish tenderly the memories of our heroic dead who made their breast a barricade between our country and its foes”.
Today Memorial Day remains a time of observation to honor and respect those who fought to protect the liberties that our Founding Fathers proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence and that were thoughtfully and carefully framed in the Constitution of the United States.
FYI: Aside from being recognized as the founder of Memorial Day, General Logan served in the Mexican-American War and in the Union Army in the American Civil War. He served the state of Illinois as a state senator, congressman and U.S. senator and was an unsuccessful candidate for Vice President of the United States.
Related Reading Links:
- Black Jack: General John A. Logan, by James Pickett Jones
- Boalsburg, PA, the Birthplace of Memorial Day
- For Children: Memorial Day (National Holidays), by Helen Frost
- Amazon.com recently published books on Memorial Day and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Poetry: Decoration Day by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Memorial Day Events
- Join the Armed Forces History Museum for their 6th Annual Memorial Day Family FunFest on Monday, May 26, 2014 – from 10am -3pm. Admission to this family friendly event is $10 for adults and $5 for children 4-12. As in previous years, the fest will feature rock wall climbing, a bounce house, power bungee jumping, face painting, military dress up, photo opportunities, and more. Not all activities are included in the admission cost.
- Bay Pines VA: 10,000 Bay Pines Blvd., St. Petersburg, FL 33744. Bay News 9 Anchor Holly Gregory will serve as Emcee over the event with featured speakers including representatives from the VA, a performance by the Amputee Veterans of America Support Team (an amputee color guard unit), musical performances, firing salute and taps performance. Shuttle service provided from parking lot to cemetery. Sign-language interpreter for hearing impaired. Price: Free. Phone: (727) 398-9426.
- Bay Pines VA: Will commemorate Memorial Day with a ceremony on May 26. Volunteers will mark nearly 34,000 graves at the cemetery with U.S. flags to honor the men and women who served the nation.