Lifestyles by Estelia… The Basics of a Great Nap
In my ongoing quest for happiness project I’ve discovered that a real mood booster is a nap. Research shows that naps crunch all the benefits of the first and last part of overnight sleep and make a tremendous contribution to our overall heath.
Harvard researchers have come up with the following pointers for making the most of an afternoon snooze:
- Find a dark, quiet, cool place: One of the keys to a successful nap is being able to fall asleep quickly. Shutting out light and noise and cool temperatures help you to fall asleep faster and feel more comfortable.
- Keep it short: When it comes to naps, less is more. A 20-minute nap is more effective than a longer one.
- Schedule it: If you wait until you’re nodding off at your desk, you’ve waited too long.
- Lose the guilt: Most of us are conditioned to believe that nodding off for 20 minutes in the middle of the workday seems like laziness – adjust your thinking. The truth is a well-timed nap can not only make you more productive at work and home, it will also make you more enjoyable to be around. Imagine that!
Harvard Men’s Health Watch, February 2012
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to The Psychology of Happiness, Arlene Matthews Uhl
Cognitive, Affective & Behavioral Neuroscience, December 2011
* Image borrowed from Clearwater resident Dean Young, Dagwood’s (Blondie) creator