Lifestyles by Estelia – How to Decorate a Small Living Room
When you decorate a small space such as a living room be sure not to congest it with too much furniture and, please, get rid of all clutter and everything else that you rarely use. Once you’ve taken care of these tasks, you’ll be set to decorate your living room to create more space and make it look bigger. Here’s what the experts advise:
- Color and Paint the Living Room: Interior decorators suggest using a light color on the walls. Why? Because light colors reflect more light, thereby creating an illusion of a bigger area. Choose one color instead of multiple colors. If you want more than one color, choose different shades of the same color.
- Living Room Flooring: Because you have limited space, you want it to look bigger. Don’t use carpet in any small room because it will give a congested visual affect.
- Furniture in Living Room: The rule of thumb is to choose wisely in order to make full use of the limited space. Select light colored metal and wood. Avoid furniture with too many cabinets or storage space. Go for furniture that offers more visibility – the more you can see through the furniture, the bigger the area will look.
- Other helpful tips:
- Mirrors: Using a mirror wisely in a small living room can make it look bigger and spacious. Well placed mirrors in several key areas of the living room can create double vision and make the space look bigger. Just make sure that you don’t use too many mirrors.
- Window: A small living room should always have large window. Large windows can make a small living room look bigger. The bigger the window is, the more light will enter the room. Use light colored curtains/window treatments.
- Wall Décor: Always be careful when choosing wall décor for a small living room. Consider a couple of large larger pieces rather than too many smaller ones. Again, choose light colored frames or color for any of these wall décor pieces.