Lifestyles by Estelia:
Meditation….. Five Minutes and You’re Done!
A study published in June, 2013 in Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience reported that the practice of meditation can reduce anxiety levels by up to 22 percent. Research has also suggested that meditating can actually form new and permanent neural connections in your brain. Meditation trains your mind to focus on the moment instead of worrying about what occurred in the past or what could happen in the future. Anyone can do it and the more consistent you are, the easier it will become. So, readers, sit up straight in a comfortable chair, remove your socks and shoes and let’s get started!
- Minute 1: Breathe deeply. Rest your hands on the tops of your thighs with legs hip distance apart. Close your eyes (or leave them open) allowing your gaze to rest, unfocused with your feet in front of you. Now deepen your breathing, inhaling for a count of 4 and exhaling for a count of 6.
- Minute 2: Stop counting and allow your breathing to fall into an easy natural pace. Tune in to the rising and falling sensation in your body. You should experience it from your belly to your shoulders.
- Minute 3: Stay focused. Continue to be aware of your breathing.
- Minute 4: Relax. Release your focus on your breathing and simply sit. Remind yourself there’s nothing to do, fix or change.
- Minute 5: Give thanks. Think about something you are grateful for. Open your eyes (if you had them closed), stand up and tackle the rest of your day!
March Charitable Happenings in St. Petersburg
- Art in Bloom Luncheon: Sponsored by the Stuart Society of the Museum of Fine Arts. The event will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Renaissance Vinoy Resort, 501 Fifth Avenue, NE. Tickets: $75.00. (727) 896-2667.
- Flowers After Hours: Sponsored by the Stuart Society of the Museum of Fine Arts. Features art in bloom floral designs. MOFA, 255 Beach Drive, NE (727) 896-2667.
- Mystery Dinner Theater: Sertoma of St. Petersburg event. 7pm to 11pm at the All Children’s Education & Conference Center. 700 Fourth Street, So. Cost: $60.00 (727) 523-3419.
- Glitz and All That Jazz: St. Petersburg Women’s Chamber of Commerce Annual Luncheon, fashion show and card party. 11am at the St. Petersburg Yacht Club, 11 Central Avenue. (727) 217-4929 or (727) 392-6235. $50.00
- Battle of the Minds: Trivia competition and dinner to benefit St. Petersburg Free Clinic. 6pm. The event will be held in the Grand Ballroom of the Renaissance Vinoy Resort, 501 Fifth Avenue, NE. Tickets: $200. (727) 821-1200, Ext. 110