Non Profit Spotlight: The featured organization for October is Great Explorations Children’s Museum (1925 4th Street, N., St. Petersburg, FL, 33704). Great Explorations was co-founded in 1986 by the Junior League of St. Petersburg and Hands-On! Inc., and opened to an enthusiastic public on November 27, 1987. It is recognized as one of Florida’s top museums and one of America’s top museums for children. Great Explorations is the premier destination for families in the Tampa Bay area. Interactive exhibits, a preschool, camps, field trips, workshops for parents and caregivers, as well as volunteer opportunities for young adults, connect the Museum to a broad audience. Great Explorations prides itself on providing quality children’s experiences for the families in the community, and its ability to introduce new and innovative ways for children to learn through creativity, play and exploration.
Great Programs at “Great Ex”:
- Terrific Tots: This Members Only program offers a unique bonding experience for parent and child. Explore Terrific Tots 21 art, music and language with your little one in this fun and safe environment. In the beginning of each class you’ll join together in sing-a-longs that encourage movement and parent involvement. Songs end with a quiet selection as you move into story time to promote literacy development. Each class end with a bubbles and blocks community time that encourages toddler interaction and social development. Terrific Tots is a great way to familiarize your toddler with large group activities as well as toddler-led and parent-assisted learning experiences. This program is for 1-3 year olds and their caregivers and is held on Wednesdays and Fridays from 11:00 – 11:30 a.m. in the Great Room.
- Early Explorations Preschool: Early Explorations Preschool offers the highest quality of childcare and education in a secure, stimulating, and nurturing learning environment. It offers a child centered curriculum that is developed from the child’s interests and the surrounding environment. The preschool staff has extensive knowledge in Early Childhood Education and is dedicated to ensure that each and every child’s needs are met.
- School’s Out Camps and Summer Camps: Camps at Great Explorations are a fantastic way to have fun while school is out and still stimulate learning and imagination. Camp offerings range from Nano Science to Clown College. The campers have an opportunity for museum time in the mornings and afternoons as well as access to the Touch Tunnel and CritterCave during the day. When it is nice out the campers have an opportunity for physical activity at the Crescent Lake playground. Camp days are filled with science experiments and camper led scientific exploration, arts and craft projects, movement activities and team projects.
- Field Trips: The museum provides the opportunity for hands-on fun for children ages 1-10. Explore the 18,000 square feet of exhibits and let your imagination run wild. Exhibits inspire play and learning at the same time. The Touch Tunnel provides a unique sensory experience and the CritterCave offers the opportunity for children to get up close to snakes, tarantulas and a whole host of reptiles.
- Outreaches: If you can’t come to Great Explorations, “Great Ex” will gladly bring the fun and learning to you. These outreaches are a great way to inspire a love of learning, curiosity and to introduce fun and engaging ways to study new topics. They offer interactive demonstrations on a variety of topics ranging from Once Upon a Time to Global Groove or Grossology which is all about our amazing human body. For maximum interaction outreach presentations are for groups under 40 children.
For more information about this hometown treasure, like how to join, volunteer, visit or donate, please visit their website: http://www.greatexplorations.org