Designated an historic landmark in 2012, the Palladium Theatre has impressive grand columns and arches. In its previous life the Palladium was the First Church of Christ, Scientist.
Located at Fifth Avenue N and Third Street N, the First Church was designed as a basilican structure in the Romanesque Revival style of architecture by architect Howard Lovewell Cheney; it was built in 1925 by the George A. Fuller Construction Company of New York City.
The building was sold in 1998 to the Palladium Theater, which renovated it for its own use, while preserving as much as possible of the interior, including the 1926 Skinner organ and the magnificent Arts and Crafts style art tilework.
In 2007, the Palladium Theater was given to St. Petersburg College and it is now called the Palladium at St. Petersburg College. Under the umbrella of St. Petersburg College, the Palladium enjoys support that helps assure the theater’s long-term future as a vital part of the cultural life in Tampa Bay.
An excerpt from its 5.26.2016 blog…..
The Palladium announces lots of good news we move into our summer season
Our Side Door Cabaret has been quiet in May and June – community shows on our main stage have taken all potential Side Door dates. It’s a good problem to have. The Side Door will come roaring back starting July 15 and running most weekends through the end of September. For details check out our website www.mypalladium.org
One reason for the quiet Side Door is our friends at St. Petersburg Opera. They are producing the classic Puccini opera La Bohème in June and then coming right back with six performances of South Pacific in early July.
Our theater picked up another “best of” award – this time from Tampa Bay Metro. The Palladium was recognized as “The Best Showcase of Musical Variety.” That just about sums us up.
For a full schedule of upcoming events, to volunteer, join or donate to the Palladium Theatre, visit their web site (www.mypalladium.org) or call the office at 727.822.3590.