Non-Profit Spotlight… YMCA of Greater St. Petersburg
It’s exciting to feature the Y as September’s nonprofit. Since 1920 this organization has been meeting the holistic needs of St. Petersburg’s residents through its programs and outreach. Its mission is to put Judeo-Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body.
Areas of Focus
Youth Development: The Y believes that all kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve. It is committed to:
- Helping to develop self-esteem, while learning teamwork through youth sports, dance academy, childcare and summer camp programming.
- Closing the achievement gap for low income, high risk youth by providing intensive academic and life skills support through the Y Achievers Academic Program, 21st Century Program and summer camp programming.
- Diverting and preventing youth delinquency by improving access to alternative arts activities for at-risk youth and teens through the Prodigy Cultural Arts Program.
Healthy Living: The Y is committed to making a positive impact on the community’s health and well-being through its:
- Diabetes Prevention Program – reducing participants’ chances of developing diabetes by up to 58%.
- LiveStrong Program – providing cancer survivors and their families with emotional support and fitness training on their journey back to health.
- Active Older Adults Programs – improving the quality of life for older adults by helping them to stay active and healthy.
- Combating youth obesity through the Fit4All Kids initiative.
Social Responsibility: The Y:
- Teaches life-saving swim safety skills that prevent accidental drowning for low to moderate income youth.
- Provides back-to-school supply drives for local communities.
- Hosts annual community events that provide families with an opportunity to spend time together actively learning about wellness and nutrition.
- Provides over 300 families and 700 children annually with a traditional Christmas through the YMCA Neighbor-to-Neighbor Christmas program.
For more information about programs, schedules, hours of operation, locations, membership, volunteer opportunities or to donate, contact the Y at 727.895.9622 or visit its website: www.stpeteymca.org