If it has been a while since you purchased a home, it may be a good idea to familiarize yourself on the trends of today’s real estate market before looking for that perfect property. The Mesimer’s Team goal is to make the process of buying a new home go as smoothly as possible for our clients. With this in mind, here are five things that every home buyer should know before looking at properties:
- Consider the future resale value of the property: Location is one of the biggest influences in a property’s market value. Is the property located in a transitional and up-and-coming area? Does it have a marketable waterfront? Take the time to learn about school district, possible zoning changes, etc.
- Create a checklist of all of the requirements that your new home will need to meet: Creating a list of home essentials will help hold you accountable to getting what you really need, as opposed to things you just want.
- Understand the homeowners’ association contract: If your home is tied to a homeowner’s association, make yourself aware of any restrictions that may impact the enjoyment of your home. Learn about the community, neighbors and any rules and regulations.
- Buy for the view: Place priority on the view, not necessarily the house. Make yourself aware of any future development projects that may take away your incredible view.
- Look beyond the staging: Many homes are staged for home tours/open houses. Focus your attention on the actual layout and structure of the house. Remind yourself that you’re not necessarily buying the furniture, you’re buying the house.