The 2020 annual Shine Mural Festival kicked off in St. Petersburg on Saturday, 11.7 and runs through Saturday, 11.14. For the first time in the festival’s six year history, the artist lineup will be entirely composed of Florida-based muralists, with a focus on artists from Tampa Bay… all about keeping it local.
SHINE 2020 Theme
In addition, for the first time SHINE will have a central environmental theme thanks to a partnership with PangeaSeed’s Sea Walls, a public art program that uses murals to educate communities on the planet’s most important ecosystem, our oceans. Sea Walls has funded over 400 murals in 17 countries.
Each artist will select an environmental topic impacting St. Pete and will paint in his or her own style to highlight that issue. Some of the environmental topics that will be covered include water quality, red tide, plastic pollution, and ocean acidification.
SHINE Artist Line-up 2020 and Mural Location:
- Alex Yanes (Miami): Location: Waterfront Arts District: Topic: Sea level rise
- Bask (St. Petersburg): Location: Mirror Lake: Topic: TBD
- Brian Butler (Miami): Location: EDGE District: Topic: Ocean acidification
- Elle LeBlanc (St. Petersburg): Location: Warehouse Arts District: Topic: Plastic pollution
- iBoms (St. Petersburg): Location: Central Avenue: Topic: Red tide
- Kenny Coil & Marc Berenguer (Break Maiden) (St. Petersburg): Location: USFSP: Topic: Coastal wetlands and mangroves
- Lili Yuan (Jacksonville): Location: Grand Central District: Topic: Water quality
- Mason Schwacke (St. Petersburg): Location: Old Southeast: Topic: Local marine species at risk of extinction
- Nneka Jones & Bianca Burrows (Tampa): Location: Grand Central District: Topic: Overfishing
- Tatiana Suarez (Miami): Location: Downtown Waterfront: Topic: TBD
Over the past ten years St. Petersburg has established itself as an international mural destination. By using walls and streets as canvas, the city has become an outdoor art gallery of over 600 murals that are completely free and open 24/7.
Since 2015, the SHINE Mural Festival has been responsible for 93 murals by artists from all over the world, including more than 90 local artists. Some of the most iconic murals were painted during the annual mural fest, such as Shark Toof’s “Big Red Shark” behind the Floridian Social Club (on the east wall of the State Theater building, at 687 Central Avenue) and Evoca1’s “Through the Perils of our Youth” in the EDGE District.
“The background of the mural is a hot tomato red, a shock of color across a high, horizontal wall that faces east, running from Central Avenue to the alley behind the theatre.
Diving across the wall is an enormous great white shark, 55 feet wide and 33 feet high. The shark is so gigantic that its head, chest and one fin are all that fit.” St. Pete Arts Alliance.
The St. Pete Arts Alliance and Sea Walls are employing strict health and safety precautions throughout the festival for both artists and the public that follow updates on COVID-19, including guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health officials. (https://stpeteartsalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SHINE-x-Sea-Walls-St-Pete-Covid19-Plan.pdf)
Directions, Maps, Apps….
For all pertinent information regarding the 2020 SHINE Mural Festival, go to the St. Pete Arts Alliance website: https://stpeteartsalliance.org/shine-mural-festival/
You can also download the PixelStix app for directions to all of the sites. Many of the murals will also have extra information about them on the app.
If you are looking to buy or sell property in St. Petersburg, Estelia Mesimer at RE/MAX Metro can make it happen for you. With exclusive tools, programs and resources, Estelia makes the process look easy, because with her help, it can be.
St. Petersburg Communities
If you’re interested in any of these of communities or live in one of them and are thinking of selling, call Estelia today!
Greater Pinellas Point
Historic Old Northeast
Historic Roser Park
Isla del Sol